Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tired and a Rant on Radiation Exposure

I was looking for some nice family R&R the last few days. What I didn't expect was the cucumber melon chemical concoction the hotel liked to, apparently, bathe in. The smell was so bad, my lungs immediately shriveled up and tried to hang themselves off my clavicles. From a 0 to a 8 on the imminent asthma attack scale.

That sucked.

Luckily, we were able to leave all the windows open (and crank the heat since it was only 30F out) for several hours and that solved the problem.

Well, that and some serious rescue inhaler use.

We had a good time overall. It was a cheapskate vacation, we ate using gift cards, paid for the hotel room with reward points that were probably 5 years old etc...

I asked the toddler what her favorite part was. Was it the concert*? The toy window shopping (which she is so good about)? The restaurant? The pool? Playing hide and seek in our strangely large hotel room? Jumping on the hotel bed? What?

She thought for a moment, seriously contemplating the question and then said, "Ummm, my favorite part was, ummmm sleeping!"

Okay then.

I thought the concert was fantastic. I think I'm a Dan Zanes groupie. Which is probably inappropriate. But I had a good time!

Okay, switching gears and going completely off track.

Radiation from Japan is not going to kill us, okay?

I have been amazed at the panic I've seen, primarily from Americans, all over the internet.

Think, people.

Did Chernobyl kill anyone in the US?

NO!

Did Americans have to take potassium iodide pills?

NO!

FYI those fall out maps you've seen on the internet that imply we're all going to die? Utter bullsh*t. I believe they are old Cold War fall out maps which are a whole other kettle of fish. Not the same at all. The people using those maps usually have something to sell you.

The impact of Japan's nuclear meltdowns on the US is minimal. Really. I've sat calculating exposure rates and combing media reports as well as textbooks on Chernobyl and nuclear power over the last few days. Unless some other apocalyptic event occurs that ups the ante, nothing bad will happen to the US.

So please stop worrying about the US and focus on the people who really need our help; the Japanese.

Thank you.


* Which she required noise reduction head phones to tolerate, but gamely says she enjoyed even though she kept asking to go home.

1 comment:

  1. Oh god save us from aggressive fragrances! Glad you were able to get the place aired out at least.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.