Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Everyone's Got an Inhaler

In the middle of the never-ending doctor's appointment yesterday, I took the kiddo out to eat something.

I took her to Wendy's explaining it was easier for mommy to avoid gluten there than at McDonald's. As she watched me remove the bun from the hamburger she said, "Mommy, do I have a rash on my neck too?"

It felt like we were revisiting the theme of ' being just like mommy' which arose when she was told to take an inhaler a few weeks ago.

I looked at her and said, "You will always be my little girl, but you are not mommy. You will have your own life. It will be different from mine."

And then I took her to get a chest x-ray.

Later, the ped called with the verdict of asthma, not walking pneumonia.

Right now we are doing nebulizer treatments at regular intervals. The next step is steroids.

It's all just like mommy.

The universe is a sick, twisted bitch.

My hope is to see if we can skip systemic steroids and go for an inhaler like Qvar. Given my experiences, I think systemic steroids should be avoided at all costs. If there's a first time, there's a hundredth time with steroids. Not to mention she's way too much 'like mommy' for me to think oral steroids are no big deal. Keeping her off the oral form is her only shot at not repeating my history.

My husband isn't breathing well either. The flu has left him with a nagging cough and some asthma-like wheezing. He talks about going to the doctor, but it never happens. Instead he runs off to play hockey...except he can't breathe well enough to do anything but pant on the sidelines. He's now got one of my inhalers in his pocket.


And my twelve-year-old labby love is sick and going to the vet today. Hopefully she's okay and just needs antibiotics. At the rate things are going now, she'll get an inhaler too.


2 comments:

  1. Ah jeez, that sucks. I'm sorry she's got asthma. And I hope your doggie is ok. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Just really want to say thank you for providing invaluable info. about asthma and steroid induced adrenal insuffiency. I, as a sufferer for both conditions, struggle to life for a few years. I was forced to rest for 2 years long due to poor health. As my adrenal function slowly recovers I can pick up part time job recently. I benefit a lot from your sharing during my hard road of recovery.
    As a adrenally suppressed patient, I try my best to avoid oral steroids. In contrary, it is difficult in practice during asthma flare-up. I found a study in Pubmed saying Montelukast 10mg + Desloratadine 5mg has antiinfammatory action comparable to oral steroid. I've tried during my asthma flare-up. It works. I've continued treatment for 5 days.
    Just want to share that with you and I'm not sure if it works on everyone. Moreover, it's for adults only.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.