Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

How We Won the Tape War

More toddler PT stories today...this time we got the tape on her legs. To do this, we played 'doctor' a lot at home using blue painter's tape and I made sure to prepare her before the appointment; that taping was going to happen and that the expectation was for her to cooperate. I also had a properly hyped reward ready for when she was done.

However, the PT pulled me aside to explain that, while the taping had been successful, the toddler had behaved so egregiously during their session, she'd lost her treasure box and sticker privileges. The PT was worried I would think she was being mean.

"Oh, please." I waved my hand in a dismissive gesture. "I just feel less alone. It's nice to know it's not just us." (Where does the support group meet for parents of 3 1/2 year olds? I need to go.)

Then the PT was kind enough to share she felt we were handling all the testing well. Each time the PT refused to engage with or tolerate the toddler's behavior, the toddler stopped and reined it in.

So a billion points to the 'rents for being consistent about consequences.

Unfortunately I think think score is still in favor of the toddler. She's not just exasperating the snot out of us, but professionals with degrees who work with kids for a living. Clearly, the toddler is a pro and we are just rank amateurs. She is so going to kick azz someday, I just hope a)her legs are strong enough for it by then and b)we all survive the growing pains.

Parenting. It's not for the weak. Or the adrenally exhausted.

By the way, the super special surgical tape that is supposed to stick for weeks? Lasted about two minutes in the car. Despite being covered by shoes, socks and pants. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.