Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Up Swing

I know what my problem was...my hormones changed and tanked me for about a week. Now they've shifted back and things are improving. Yesterday was much better...the overlay of fatigue was mild and I didn't have to lay down in the middle of the day.

Mostly it's just been fatigue, no weakness which I take as a good sign. The only thing is, even fatigue alone sucks. It's like having a hangover all the time. I just can't wake up. Gah. Dislike!

As a result of the tireds, I've been on the caffeine sauce again. Coke Zero to the rescue. Man, I really need to learn how to like coffee so I can get off this chemical shit. Tea does not have any kick to it and I needed a grenade launcher up my butt to get myself moving this past week. So I turned to Coke Zero. Just once a day, but yeah, not really thrilled about it even though it helped a lot.

Exercise has been regular, much to my relief, at least something went well. Mostly walking, a little bit of yoga and one bike ride. I've avoided strength work the last several months, but realize now that's a mistake. The hikes aren't getting any easier because I'm not building any strength.

But I don't want to over-do it either. I'm working on figuring that out.

Here's a dump and go recipe for you...love this one, sooooo easy.

Ham Dinner

4-5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced (use rutabaga if you're low carbing)
2 tbsps. olive oil
1 tbsps. herb blend of your choice (I use a no-salt blend with a bunch of spices in it)
1 tsp. salt
1 bag of frozen green beans (if you have a crowd, double the beans)
1-2 ham steaks cut into quarters. (1 ham steak serves 4, two serves 8)

1.Put potatoes in the bottom of the crockpot. Toss with oil and spices.

2.Top potatoes with green beans.

3.Add ham steaks.

4.Cook on low for 8 hours.

No you don't add any water...because the oil on the potatoes will brown them very nicely without any extra liquid. Also I think the frozen green beans provide all the moisture you need.

It's really lovely. My grandmother used to can her own green beans with bacon and this recipe infuses the beans with a ham flavor similar to hers (which we always scarfed down and coveted at family events).

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.