Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Alternative Slime

Saw doctor alternative...my cortisol level came back low. I didn't get a copy of the labs (but will ask for one) so I don't know the number, but that was not what I wanted to hear.

However, what alternative medicine considers to be low cortisol and what traditional mainstream medicine deems low are two very different things. You've got to be pretty low for a endocrinologist, not so much for integrative medicine. Based on how I feel, I can't be super low. I can't be.

So today I am allopathic by-the-book medicine all the way. In that paradigm, I'm fine (usually) and I prefer it that way, thank you.

And no, I will not be starting steroids. Day-to-day seems to be pretty stable with progesterone, but I still have issues with illness and apparently big trips. I'll deal.

My other hormones are all wonky still, but the new theory is...ummm still to be named, but a component of it is that menopause is ruled out.  (We'll see about that.)

I left the appointment with a butt load of vitamins...all of which taste terrible. (Tip: Never trust alternative medicine to give you anything that tastes good.) I've got four that come in slime gel packets. Total yuck on both texture and taste. Gag. Like eating frog diarrhea.

If the vitamins don't do anything (which they won't) we move on to some really fringe experimental bio-idential hormone stuff. I'm willing to try it only because it's relatively cheap and fairly safe, but I don't expect it to do much of anything.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.