Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I Just Can't Stay Away (Pancreatitis)


Saw the GI doc and I'm having surgery in a few weeks. The diagnosis we're going with is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction.They're going to cauterize the sphincter so it can't spasm shut anymore.

If that is what is actually causing the problem. There's really no guarantee.

I really did have pancreatitis.The CT scan showed "stranding" (aka inflammation) and a cyst on my pancreas.

However, all my blood work was normal so the ER sent me home. No high triglycerides. No elevated enzymes from the pancreas or liver. Apparently, I had the mildest case of pancreatitis in history.

Yesterday, I ate some stupid shit (because I was starving, which is the state most associated with food stupidity) and have not done my pancreas any favors.It's throbbing angrily in my gut, making my pay for my indiscretion.

Why did I do something so stupid? Because I didn't think I really had pancreatitis. I mean, you read patient stories of their experiences and they aren't out and about living their lives, they're in the hospital in a fetal position from the pain. That wasn't me, but now I know better.

So, yeah, I need to pull back on food. A lot. Back to fluids and soft, bland foods until the surgery. I need to get my pancreas in good shape before the surgery to reduce my risk of the surgery causing pancreatitis.

Still haven't heard back from the one hospital system. I have a relative in that system who is an established patient and their calls aren't returned very often either. It's funny how they don't mention that in their multi-million dollar ad campaigns.

1 comment:

  1. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am SO sorry. How awful. Are you having an ERCP? Dreaded question....will steroids be part of the procedure or are you trying without? Was it a scope before that gave you a crisis after? I'm probably recalling incorrectly. Thinking of you lots. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.