Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

The Pissy Pancreas Goes on a Trip

Well, that was a mistake. I went with my family on our little adventure. I wanted to be there when my kiddo saw everything for the first time. Unfortunately, it was a little much for me.

The good news? It looks like we all had food poisoning or something. I was the only one to vomit, but it wasn't necessarily my pancreas gone wild, which would have been much more serious.

However, I really needed to be in bed on Sunday. I was just wiped from being sick still and my diet of Kefir and Greek Yogurt made things worse. It couldn't give me enough calories to heal from illness and hoof it all over the place. I'm hungry to the point of nausea most of the time these days.

So I had 550 calories to sight-see on. By the end of the day, I had a horrible headache. I tried a bunch of little tricks to try and ameliorate things. Some Emergen-C packets in the hopes that would help. Nope. I ate some Welch's fruit snack thingies for some quick calories thinking I had low blood sugar. Not happening. I didn't need sugar, I needed food. Real food.

Then we hit the Hard Rock where the chef graciously grilled a plain chicken breast for me. It was a risk to eat it, but, the second the protein hit my stomach, I began to feel better. My pancreas even let me eat it without any protest.

I was so excited. I'd eaten real food and it didn't hurt! But then my pancreas spent the entire 4 hour ride home cramping and clenching in my gut. So, not a win.

I'm back to Greek yogurt this morning and the headache of hunger has returned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.