Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Public Navel Gazing

I'm on Nexium right now which is helping the heart burn. The odd thing is, a few weeks ago, Nexium did nothing and it was digestive enzymes that were helping. Such a flip-flop waffle body I have.

The way I'm going to do it now is simply to minimize tomatoes and peppers in my diet and use Nexium before eating them as well as continue to avoid wheat.

I've mentioned before that I'm a recovering preacher's kid and we recently joined a church in our neighborhood. It has not been all that positive of an experience.

Something you may or may not know about churches is that the janitors, organists, choir directors and pretty much anyone on the Trustee Committee are all huge pains in the ass. They have agendas. They dislike people and manuveur within the congregation solely based on who they are out to get. They gang up on the pastor.

It's like work, but without the mediation that HR can provide. Plus your entire family is a target.

This bullshit is one of the reasons why I avoided the church as an adult. I'd had enough of it growing up. Everybody is 'happy, happy, Jesus, Jesus' to your face and then twisting the knife in your back.

But I had a kid who wanted to know about Jesus. So off to church we went and now I'm not sure it was such a good decision.

Last Sunday we got caught in a pissing match between the pastor and the janitor because my husband got suckered into being a Trustee. We had ringside seats. I felt bad for the pastor who had no idea how to manage their employee. Corporate America may be the root of all evil, but they are very good about creating SOPs to follow and do provide useful management training upon occasion. Churches don't offer much in that area beyond prayer and leaving it to Jesus.

To top it off, I am running the Women's Bible Study. This has to be a bad sign when the new kid is left with such a large responsibility. I don't mind organizing or facilitating, but I am not dogmatic, nor am I a fundamentalist. The curriculum is exactly that...a series of DVDs with a privileged white woman who urges us to pray face down on the floor as we invoke God as our rescuer because our first world problems are that important. It's Checklist Christianity...if I do xyz then I am a good Christian. And it's bullshit. I will do my best to not say anything along those lines, but it's going to be tough because I feel very strongly about it.

So now I'm stuck. The hubby is stuck. The seamy underbelly of faith is showing. This is probably not the right church for us and there may not be one that would be a good fit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.