Pages

Monday, April 25, 2022

Genetic Reenactment #1

 


So you have a history of pancreatitis.


Yeah. But the theory is it's the liver tumors drop kicking my system. Initially, the tumors were too small to be seen on CT and all they could see was the stranding (inflammation) in the pancreas, but my lipase was always normal so they'd say it was early pancreatitis. We think--because no one really studies these tumors--maybe the small tumors are sometimes rupturing and triggering all of these episodes. It's not really driven by the pancreas.


High triglycerides can cause pancreatitis.


Yes. I know and I have a history of high triglycerides. Usually tied to exercise and diet. If I'm eating too many carbs and sugar they'll spike pretty high. Mostly I'm good and manage it with diet and exercise. And of course, with the liver, there's never any overeating or anything close to it anymore which helps.


One your second ER visit, did they test triglycerides?


I asked, but no.


Stunned expressions on the doctors' faces.


They wouldn't...test???


Nope. 


Stunned expressions on the doctors' faces.


Yeah. I know. So when I left the ER, I tried to get primary to run the test so we had the numbers right as things were acting up.


And what were they?


Oh, my primary wouldn't run the test either. 


Stunned expressions on the doctors' faces.


They wouldn't...test???


Yeah. I know. So I found private lab work online and once I was discharged went there, after a night of no sleep, and paid for it out of pocket. Because I knew this was an important data point. I didn't want to go through all this drama and then not run the relevant testing. 


Stunned expressions on the doctors' faces.


Yeah. I know. Anyway, the triglycerides were normal. Not high at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.