Pages

Friday, November 18, 2022

Hordes of Rock

By the way, pictured below is the rock that crushed my hand. It's approximately 3' by 4'. It weighs at least 500lbs and likely more.


Hubby is now manhandling the remaining slabs on his own. As mentioned previously, he's incredibly strong and really good with the physics involved in moving heavy things. He's just not so good at working with a partner who can't match his abilities.


The next two slabs he wants to bring home are bigger than our trailer. I keep telling him to forget it then, but he just looks at me and says "Hush" with his pinkie at the corner of his mouth like he's Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. He's determined to own these slabs even though we don't have much idea of what we're going to do with them.


So, yeah. It turns out, we are collecting cabinets and also slabs of sandstone. And while we both like rocks and cabinets...I think we might be crossing a line here. We have over 50 slabs of varying sizes now (most are smaller than this one though). We'll use them around the farm in some capacity or another...just as soon as we figure out what that is. Stones like this are useful when you have property. We've just acquired them without much of a plan other than 'stone good, stone useful.'


I don't know that we need to risk tackling slabs bigger than our trailer, though. Maybe we don't need to drag every slab we meet home?


And yes, my hand is still swollen. Although to be fair, it's only been a few days since my last post.  I wonder if it's permanently bigger now? Like playdough that's been spread thin with a side of puff paint. The palm and back of my hand are just wider and thicker than they used to be.


It's been an odd injury. Very surprising and unexpected all around. I'm glad it wasn't worse, but it's definitely been weird.




PS: Random thing I forgot...teen won a prize for their Halloween costume. They handmade the whole thing (crochet, papier mache) and it turned out great. What was the costume? No one knows. Not even the teen. The inspo was some obscure music video with a lot of surreal characters in it. So I can't even tell you what it was. Interesting. It was interesting. And had a lot of pretty blue colors with sparkles.

This is one thing I love about homeschooling. It allows more time and there's less peer pressure and kids can go deep on things that really interest them. And it's always the most obscure stuff over here. Old E. European films was a big phase here at one point lol. Legal podcasts. Foraging. Bones. All things social hierarchies in public school wouldn't tolerate. 

There's no fitting in or dumbing down, there's only finding your passion. 

One of my big themes with the homeschooling has been find your power, leverage your power. We're not here to fit in, to make popular kids happy, to put up with toxic situations (which was what public school had become by the time we left). We're here to walk our own path and we want to travel it knowing our own power and how to wield it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.