Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Whaaaat the what?

 More boring minutiae but I think the last two paragraphs are kind of interesting...


Another oxygen drop. I thought I was past these. It's not that it's some awful health emergency, it's that is just sucks me dry. It's like an asthma attack without asthma and it really tires me out. I was useless for most of the day.


One good sign, I did recover enough to get outside toward the end of the day and weed the garden for the first time in a week. And I chased Japanese Beetles around and sprayed a lot of organic stuff to get rid of them and other issues--we have a large field that I've planted around the edges so that's a decent amount of activity.


Man, I'd like just one year where my health isn't a dumpster fire in the spring/summer so I can actually do the gardening as planned. This is year three of garden interruptus. The weeds are about to take over. I hope the stuff I've been doing to make this all more turn key and less labor intensive pays off. Clearly I'm not going to be a master gardener. I need to adjust (and have been adjusting, but it's never enough) my goals to compensate for my health.


I'm eating more. The one thing I'm gleaning from the dietician inspired calorie tracking (which is approximate since none of the foods ever seem to be in the database) is that I have probably been undereating more than I realized. I'm not even sure how. I mean, yes Ozempic, but that's not a complete explanation. 


Have I even been this bad for long? I'm not sure. 


I don't normally track my calories. I usually set up a menu plan and then follow it so I don't have to do that.


But I got to the end of the day yesterday and had only had 900 calories. Which isn't right. Pushed it to 1300 and called it good. 


As I feel better, I'll start fine tuning the macros. I'm not sure I can eat like the dietician wants, but I will track it and evaluate and see what there is to learn. However, right now I'm not being too strict, just aiming for low carb-ish until I'm out of whatever this hole is.


My teen is horrified by all the tracking. Just horrified. It feels like an eating disorder to her, which who knows, maybe our culture has crossed the line. I'm not particularly interested in doing any of this, but my health and the fact the technology exists push me there anywhere.


I explained this ability to micromanage your food data like you have OCD is new and only because of smart phones. Then I tried to explain ancient weight loss techniques like Richard Simmons' Deal a Meal and Weight Watchers points and the grapefruit diet. 


And the teen was just...whaaaaat the what. Same, girl, same. But for different reasons.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.