Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Give Her a Hand

 

Still doing colonoscopy prep. Ugh. If it seems like I've been doing this way too long. Yes. Yes I have. However, this blog is disconnected from the actual timeline so your sense of time is especially distorted. Mine isn't, but I can tell you, the actual reality is still awful.


Anyway, I'm loopy because I think I'm having some kind of prednisone detox thing intermingling with my hand injury and the very low calorie, low residue diet of the prep.


Dizzy. Exhausted. Foggy. Sweats. Cold down to my bones. Heart is feeling fast and bumpy. My system is dumping water. Just super out of it. I actually napped even, which I haven't done that in months.


And I'm so hungry. So so hungry. Man. Why couldn't we have timed the colonoscopy with the kidney stone? Back then I didn't want to eat ever again.


Why can't we call GI and be like 'yo, I just had the stomach flu and I am PURGED, bitches so let's do some butt stuff' and just do it all in one fell swoop?


Right now I'd eat a live cow. I would even consider cannibalism. Can you eat wool carpets? I have one in front of me... (Side note: During the famine of 1315--which was kind of wild, highly recommend that rabbit hole--people boiled their clothes and shoes to eat. So I guess...yes. I could eat the wool carpet. I never thought of clothes or carpets as having calories...I suppose they could have some kind of nutritional content if they're animal or plant based with food safe dyes though.)


I've stopped the Tylenol and Advil for the colonoscopy. So I have a withdrawal headache as well.


And my hand isn't quite ready for zero pain management, but oh well. The butt stuff must go on.


What's interesting about the hand is while I have some swelling and my veins look weirdly squashed under my skin, it's my wrist that hurts the most. My wrist had no direct contact with the stone slab. Pain is telegraphing. Makes me wonder if the physics of the force involved were traveling up my arm. Domino theory of injury? Is that a thing?


Mobility has improved. I'd say I'm at 90% of my normal range of motion now. Strength has decreased along with function...in part because I have more pain now. 


PS: I needed salt. It took forever for me to figure that out. I feel dumb lol. But pickle juice and adding salt to my tea helped a lot. Oddly...I tend to be low on salt more so than potassium. I seem to have lost my taste for salt the last few years and have naturally stopped adding it to things. But potassium I stay on top of, so when things go off kilter (and certainly steroids and a colonoscopy prep diet don't help) it's salt that can be my problem child.


PPS: And then I needed potassium. The thing is I had potassium already. I always lead with potassium. My electrolytes are all over the place today. I hope they settle down.


And I'm realizing that maybe some of my fatigue/bad days might be electrolyte based. I think I need to try treating it with potassium and/or salt and see how it goes. Because right now I feel sooooo much better. I'm not tired at all. 


Unfortunately, I hadn't made the connection before as usually I'm eating and assume I've covered it (as I do loosely track intake on both as I've learned I won't feel good if I'm not making sure there's some incoming) or I'm sick and assume feeling like ass is from that. I never think things could be off. So this has been eye opening.


Or maybe it's the last of the prednisone purge? I'll have to experiment and see if I can fix how I'm feeling with electrolytes once this butt stuff finally ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.