Pages

Monday, May 1, 2023

This Will Be Boring

I'm in a good mood. The weather is gorgeous. I got to garden, and despite a solemn vow to never, ever eat again while in the dark throes of power puking (some people power walk, some power lift, apparently my workout options are different lol), I am hungry and eating. 


I did over 2 1/2 hours of gardening yesterday and have already done about 45 minutes today, so in this body, that means I won't lose weight, but with Ozempic in the mix, I won't gain either.


Yes. For real. Despite the puking and the not eating around that combined with some heavy duty gardening, I have lost nothing. Not an ounce. I don't usually weigh myself much, but I've been hopping on and off the last few days waiting for my stomach turning inside out to make a difference. Nothing. Yeesh.


I eat and I don't lose. I starve and I don't lose. I starve and exercise and I don't lose. I get Covid last year and I lose 10 lbs in 6 days. What?


You can see why I'm not typically obsessed with the scale. Mostly it never moves.


Anyway, the eventual goal is to get back to low carb and I was on track to do that before I was derailed by my new cross fit puking routine. I've proven, through a lot of fun carb testing, that while I won't gain, I'm not going to lose more than a few pounds unless I combine Ozempic with low carb. I still have to do more to control my insulin on my end. Calories aren't enough. It matters what the calories are. (Zero stars. Not a fan.)


And I'll note, I'm still growing new skin tags despite a normal A1c and Ozempic on board. Which is annoying. (I have grown skin tags since I was ten supposedly due to insulin resistance but who knows anymore.)


Did the Ozempic cause this latest bout? I don't think so. It's hard to be certain, but usually I have to fuck up and eat too much sugar for Ozempic to make me nauseated. I was eating properly, everything was balanced. In fact, I hadn't eaten enough that day and had to find something more to eat to avoid being under 1000 calories. I assume it has more to do with the MRI contrast side effects/allergy or Covid than anything else. I was puking roughly around this mark after that first round of Covid.


Aside from all that, I'm gearing up for my surgery date by trying to get all my gardening work done in a tenth of the time it usually takes without making the various things wrong with me worse. 


The strawberries did take a hit, but they are there. We are essentially where we started last spring instead of having a full crop coming, but that's okay. It's survivable. I spent about an hour digging up and transplanting wayward strawberries into the raised beds to help compensate for what was lost. I don't think we'll have to buy any new plants.


The garlic is a disappointment. I planted about 50 bulbs in pots and only 10 are growing. Hopefully more come up.


The row of rhubarb is happy as fuck. I wish I liked it more. Murphy's Law of Gardening: The stuff you like the least will defy all odds, never die, and produce like free money. Like, I don't love zucchini, and it knows it. I grew enough from one plant once to be the next Jesus teaching men to fish. I don't plant it anymore... I don't want to be zucchini Jesus.


I harvested the last of the lemons from our dwarf lemon tree, which I've named Pandora because the marketing makes it sound easy to grow lemons when it's actually a lot of fussy clusterfuckery. We got about 15 lemons from her after 2 1/2 years of work and now she's trying to die. I'm doing my best to save her, but eh...


I will say, I have confirmed, firsthand, the advice to not compost citrus because it really does take forever to breakdown. The hard green baby lemons that fell off and that I buried in the pot to decompose instead ripened and are probably edible six months later. I dug them out and disposed of them elsewhere in case they were bothering Pandora.


I've got lettuce, poblano peppers, valerian, lavender, and cilantro seeds into pots. Some outside, some inside. Hopefully the family will water them when I can't walk.


In the cold frame, I have some random freebie flowers that were sent with some other order, broccoli, and peas. The seeds are old and I planted the broccoli late and it's getting really hot really early here so it's probably not going to go well, but I tried. I'm still not accomplishing much with the cold frame, but hopefully some day it'll click. Hubby just scavenged some old lab equipment that can make a second cold frame. It'd be good to figure this technique out.


And I'm working on the flower bed off the main porch. It's a little early to sow the seeds, but I think I'm going to risk it. I've got seeds saved from my calendula, marigolds, and the neighbor's snapdragons. The goal this year is to buy no landscaping flowers except for this hill we have where we want to do creeping thyme and phlox--that'll be gorgeous if it works. But I am zucchini Jesus, not creeping thyme and phlox Jesus so let's keep expectations low.


Next up, fertilizing all the fruit and nut trees, proactive pest control on the asparagus, sow flower seeds in the other flower bed,  add compost to plants that need it, coffee grinds to others, distribute some animal safe rodent repellant, general gardening clean up, and getting the potatoes out and chitting. I won't be able to plant them, but I can get it all set up so it's turnkey for everyone.


On the work front, I have some business paperwork to wrap up and some other tasks to work ahead on. I don't expect to be down for more than a few days but I'm still trying to avoid hard deadlines since you never know how surgery or recovery will go. I have a potential deal going with a company to buy rights to some stuff (woot!) and a payday coming from the one business (yay!) and am planning out how those funds will be used. 


(For the sale of rights thing...why does this stuff always hit when I'm in the middle of medical shit? Is it that I'm sick that often? I've had to delay some of the meetings for the surgery. Annoying. Hopefully the timing isn't too sensitive. You never know on deals like this though. A day can cost you everything.)


Also I need crutches and a shower cast cover thingie. Need to get those ordered/picked up. Oh, and the ultrasound for the latest lump. Shit. Not sure I can get that going fast enough...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.