Pages

Friday, March 24, 2023

Oh Yeah. I'm Uninsurable. You Didn't Know?

 One gap in medical care knowledge that I find interesting is how often geneticists tell me they don't know I'm uninsurable. I get the song and dance about how genetic testing can impact things like life insurance. Yadda yadda.


And I tell them, "No biggie. I'm already uninsurable."


They freeze, apparently gobsmacked. And then they say almost verbatim every time, "Oh we didn't know that. We're not taught that."



I shit you not. "We're not taught that." Really? I guess so based on my small sample size.


It just came up again with a pediatric geneticist.


So y'all...asthma makes you uninsurable by and large. You're not getting good life insurance or long term care insurance as things stand now. Add in issues with cholesterol or blood pressure or weight and you're never getting insurance. 


I do have some life insurance that we locked in when I was younger, but we've been unable to increase it (and I have some doubts on if it'll actually pay out). We also do the company insurance offered to employees as well because it has almost no barriers to entry.


So anyway, when the time comes, I told hubby to burn off my fingerprints*, drop my body in a ditch somewhere and let the state deal with it. Take the money and run, hon. Lol. Not really, but it's an option lol. I kid! The plan is actually cheap cremation. Ditch dumping is just our second funeral insurance policy. 


*I'm in the database because hubby is from Europe and you get fingerprinted because marrying someone from overseas is apparently crime or something.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.