Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Asthma Divination: Losing My Touch

After the grocery store run, I woke up pretty tight the next morning

Which bummed me out because I felt like I was going to need the nebulizer and I had hoped to be able to put it away soon. I kind of mentally give myself a gold star for each day I don't need the nebulizer and I was anxious to turn my 3 day streak into 4.

So I stumbled down stairs and did some asthma divination with the peak flow meter to see what was in my pulmonary future.

575

Oh hey! Not bad. That's a nice way to start the day But...hmmm. Why do I feel so dang crappy?

Well, if I'm this high, let's see if I can make it to 600 today.

Blow again.

520

Huh.

One more time.

400

And I am really pushing, giving it my ALL trying to hit 600. I mean, I'm getting all Olympic level competitive about it and I can't do it. Damn it.

I decide to stop right there and go look for the rescue inhaler.

Which I take twice so I can hopefully say today was a nebulizer free day too. I really want to be able to tell my pulmonologist I haven't used it for 6 or more days by the time I see her.

Usually I don't find the peak flow meter very helpful, but it has been really useful this time around. In the past, I've been like those 'guess your weight' carnival folks when it came to peak flow readings. I used to be able to predict what it would be and I was always right. So I never used it unless I needed to get a reading for a doctor or ER visit.

That ability seems to have disappeared, which is interesting.

The asthma, it is a-changing. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.