Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Wasn't Looking for This I Swear: The Lung Nodule May Be Relevant

I'm trying to get my notes together for the upcoming endo appointment. I just wanted the name of the test that was ordered for me to test for Cushings, but I was unable to complete because a) the endo who ordered it was an asshole and b)I ended up on prednisone.

So I stumbled onto this little gem in the process of looking up the test. (The name of which is low-dose dexamethasone suppression test by the way.)

Note the two bits in italics.

Ectopic ACTH Syndrome

"Some benign or, more often, cancerous tumors that arise outside the pituitary can produce ACTH. This condition is known as ectopic ACTH syndrome. Lung tumors cause more than half of these cases, and men are affected three times more often than women. The most common forms of ACTH-producing tumors are small cell lung cancer, which accounts for about 13 percent of all lung cancer cases,2 and carcinoid tumors—small, slow-growing tumors that arise from hormone-producing cells in various parts of the body. Other less common types of tumors that can produce ACTH are thymomas, pancreatic islet cell tumors, and medullary carcinomas of the thyroid."

This means nothing but isn't it an odd coincidence? I have things growing in both the lung and the thyroid.

There are a lot of dominos lining up and they all criss-cross enroute to different destinations.

Am I alone in thinking this is kind of weird? That there's just too much going on?

Is it possible to have such disparate things all going wonky in one body at the same time with absolutely no inter-relationship at all????????? Inquiring minds want to know.

I wasn't even going to mention the lung nodule to the endo because my history is way too long as it is. I didn't think there was any possible way it had any relationship to what is going on hormonally.

Just goes to show, tell your doctor everything.

Now if I can just find someone who knows how to listen and actually wants to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read all comments and do my best to respond to questions, usually in a new post.